Whenever you come across a business WhatsApp account, you’d generally be more trustworthy towards the companies that are verified businesses. You must have noticed a green tick after the company name displayed on WhatsApp. This badge of honor is an indication of the business is an official business account. And it also gains tremendous trust from your potential or existing customers.
What does the green tick verification do besides gaining trust?
How to get this green tick? Is the verification limited to specific industries?
Do I fulfill the requirements for it?
These questions (and many more in our FAQ section below) will all be answered in our guide here. We have listed down the entire process into five simple steps so you get what you need to know, so you can get the green tick verification for your business as well!
WhatsApp Green Tick Verification: What Is It & Who Gets It?
There are two types of Business accounts; a ‘Business Account’ which is the WhatsApp Business App that anyone can use and is advisable for any business owner to use (in case you’re not already using it). And the other is the ‘Official Business Account’ which gets two special treatments:
- the green tick verification
- and the company name is visible to people regardless of whether they have saved it in their phone contact
In the image above, you see that our company name has a green tick next to it. Also, when I texted the official contact, I got an instant reply. You can also see the two options; ‘Yes, I need help,’ and ‘No,’ right below the reply I received. This doesn’t happen when you chat with a friend.
Take a look into the difference between a regular Business API and the Official Business API.
Apart from the minor visual difference of the green tick, the official API also has tons of extra features as we’ve mentioned later in this article. However, in the verified account the messages are sent automatically which results in a seamless customer experience. This is crucial for gaining the ultimate trust of your customers.
A regular WhatsApp Business Application can be downloaded by anyone and does not have any automation features that the official API has. However, if you are using the regular application on your phone, anyone in business should use this instead of the regular application.
Note that using the official API or having the green tick verification is only for businesses and not for individuals, freelancers, or influencers. Only registered businesses can apply for this.
Pros & Cons Of Being An Official Business
When we talk about the pros & cons of being a verified business, we mean that the company account will be an official WhatsApp API. There are unofficial or third-party APIs as well that will do the job of sending automated messages, following up with your clients, etc, but you will not get the green tick verification.
With that in mind, let’s explore the exciting perks and pitfalls of becoming an official business with the coveted green tick verification:
- Trust is a Must: Verified businesses automatically become more trustworthy to their customers, who feel safe knowing they’re not getting swindled by a potential scammer.
- Stand Out in a Crowd: With the green tick verification, your business becomes more visible and easier to find for potential customers. That’s what we call winning!
- Advanced Features at Your Fingertips: The API comes with some nifty automation tools and other features that verified accounts can use to streamline their messaging game and interact with customers more efficiently.
- Better Customer Support: WhatsApp Business lets you resolve customer queries faster, leading to higher customer satisfaction and retention rates. And who doesn’t love happy customers?
- Privacy Concerns: WhatsApp has faced scrutiny in the past regarding its privacy policies, and some customers may be hesitant to communicate with businesses on the platform due to concerns about their personal information. This can be a downside for businesses that heavily rely on this app for customer communication and may need to address these concerns to maintain customer trust.
- Not Available Everywhere: Unfortunately, green tick verification isn’t available in all countries, which can limit the reach of some businesses that rely on it for communication.
- Suspension Risk: If a business account violates the terms of service or community guidelines, it may get suspended or deactivated, which can put a real damper on things.
- Limited Messaging Control: Some automation features with the official API may be restricted, limiting your control over messaging. You may even get better features from some third-party API compared to the official one.
Overall, the advantages of having a green tick verification for a business usually outweigh the potential disadvantages, as it can improve credibility, customer trust, and communication, which can lead to increased business success.
5 Simple Steps To Apply For A Green Tick Verification On WhatsApp
The entire thing is a very simple process and can be done fully manually. We have laid the process down in five easy steps, and by the end of the guide, you will have the green tick badge of trust in no time!
Now there are two ways of getting verified as an official business. You can either go through a WhatsApp Business Service Provider (BSP), of which there are plenty online. Or you can do it manually. We will mainly discuss the manual process of green tick verification in this article.
However, to obtain the green tick verification, you can opt to utilize the services of a Business Solution Provider (BSP) to initiate the verification process.
The BSP will take charge of collecting all the required documents and information, verifying the account, and submitting the request to WhatsApp for review. Following submission, they will carefully evaluate the request to ensure that all requirements are met before granting the verification.
Applying for the verification yourself is the recommended process. This is because you will be a part of the entire procedure and will get a better understanding of the subject. While using a BSP can be tempting, taking the time to apply for verification manually allows for a more personal touch and showcases the business’s commitment to excellence.
Follow these simple steps to manually apply for official business account status:
Step 1: Access Business Settings in Facebook Business Manager
First, log in to your Facebook Business Manager account and click on the “Business Settings” button. Facebook Business Manager also comes under Meta now, and these business tools are tools by Meta. This is what the updated page looks like;
Step 2: Choose The Right Account for Verification
After clicking on “Business Settings”, you will see a list of accounts.
From there, you should select “WhatsApp Accounts” which will take you to a page where all your accounts associated with your Business Manager will be listed. If you have multiple accounts, don’t worry! You can select the specific account that you want to apply for verification for.
This step is crucial as it ensures that the verification process is completed for the correct account and you don’t accidentally apply for verification for the wrong one.
Step 3: Contact WhatsApp Experts for Application Support
Now that you’ve selected your desired account, it’s time to take the next step in the application process. Click on the “Settings” button to bring up the various options available for your account. From there, you’ll see the “Contact Support” button which you’ll want to hit to get in touch with the experts.
Step 4: Requesting Official Business Account Status on WhatsApp (& All Meta Platforms)
On the contact support page, you will see an “Ask a question” at the top-right corner of the page. Click on that and select “WABiz: Request official business account status” as the category. This will prompt the system that you are requesting official business status, which will reflect in the entire Metaverse, meaning all of Meta’s apps with a business profile.
Step 5: Completing Verification Request on Business Manager
Finally, fill in all the required information and wait for the request status to appear under the “Direct support” option in your Business Manager. Keep checking the direct support option to see if your request has been approved in the request status.
Keep in mind that while filling in the required information to prove your entity as an official business, the specific documents required may vary, depending on your company registration. However, the common documents that all businesses have to submit include:
- Business registration documents: a business license or registration certificate issued by the government.
- Tax registration documents: a tax ID number, GST number, or VAT number.
- Proof of ownership: proof of ownership of the business, such as a partnership deed, memorandum of association, or articles of incorporation.
- Business address proof: a utility bill or lease agreement that shows the address of the business.
- Identity proof: a government-issued ID card, such as a passport or driver’s license, for the business owner or authorized representative.
- Website or social media profile: Some countries may require a website or social media profile associated with the business.
We know applying for official business account status may seem daunting, but with these easy-to-follow steps, you’ll be well on your way to reaching a wider audience and expanding your business’s reach. Happy applying!
To wrap things up, the green checkmark confirmation is a must-have perk for companies that are eager to win over the faith and assurance of their potential or existing customers. Despite a few privacy concerns and messaging constraints, the advantages of sporting the green checkmark far outweigh any cons.
Our five-step process to manually apply for this coveted badge is simple, so companies can flaunt it to their patrons with pride. Get ready to wow your customers with this nifty addition!
But yes, we understand that you still may have some burning questions. Feel free to explore the frequently asked questions section in which we have scavenged the internet to find the most popular questions that people had during the verification process.
WhatsApp marketing can bring you more deals and cash flow. However, you will need robust accounting software to manage your finances this can bring. Find out how ProfitBooks can solve this problem without having you spend any money! Create your account for free today.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. What are the eligibility criteria to get a green badge?
A1. Following are the criteria your business needs to fulfill before getting the green badge from WhatsApp:
- You must be using the official WhatsApp Business Account
- Facebook must verify the Facebook Business Manager account
- Must be a business (Individuals are not allowed as of now)
- Recommended you already are running campaigns on the application
- Must be a reputable brand
Q2. How long is the process of getting the green badge?
A2. The Green Tick applications are usually processed within 1-2 business days, but in rare cases, it may take up to a week. In the case where you’re unsure whether your business has been approved, please contact support until you get a response.
Q3. How can I fasten up the process of getting verified?
A3. Follow these three things to get the verification faster and also to increase the chances of getting verified in the first place.
- Having a robust and active social media presence can significantly increase your chances of getting verified.
- Being featured in reputable publications or media outlets can help establish your brand’s credibility and increase your chances of getting verified. This can include press mentions, interviews, or guest posts.
- Provide accurate and up-to-date information: Ensure that your profile information is accurate and up-to-date, and matches your website and other online profiles. This can include your website URL, bio, and contact information.
Q4. Which businesses are not eligible for green tick verification?
A4. WhatsApp’s API does not allow certain types of businesses to obtain the coveted green tick. Companies involved in the sale or promotion of drugs, tobacco, gambling, alcohol, weapons and ammunition, live animals, adult products/services, medical and healthcare products, dating services, and cryptocurrencies are ineligible.
You can read WhatsApp’s Commerce Policy for complete knowledge in this regard.
Q5. What should I do now that my verification application has been rejected?
A5. If your WhatsApp green tick verification application gets rejected, don’t worry too much.
The first thing to do is to check the reasons for the rejection and make sure you address them in your next application. Remember, the green badge is only a visual indicator that makes your profile look more official to customers, but you can still run campaigns and support customers without it.
So, don’t let the rejection discourage you, and feel free to reapply after 30 days.